[IPython-dev] IPython Hydra from Stanford

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:35:38 EDT 2012

Hey folks,

our friends at the Stanford Center for Cognitive and Neurobiological
Imaging (CNI), the team behind http://ipython.stanford.edu, just put
up the script collection they wrote to deploy their notebook server:

https://github.com/cni/ipython-hydra

I had suggested the name ipython-ghettoblaster, but Bob is too much of
a gentleman to go along with that :)

This is a collection of scripts to let you deploy a notebook server in
a group unix environment, hiding the drudgery of port management from
your users.  Since we know for a fact that a real multiuser solution
for IPython will take some time to develop, this is an excellent
stop-gap solution.

We hope a cleaner solution will happen by next year, but Bob needed
something right away, so a few weeks ago we had a little brainstorm
about this and his team quickly came back with a working
implementation.

We hope this will serve people who'd like to deploy the notebook for
their research group or a small set of students, for example, in an
environment where they can assume that everyone already has Unix
accounts.

Many thanks to Bob and the rest of the CNI team at Stanford for making
this available, I suspect it will be quite useful until we can build a
 production solution in IPython itself.