[IPython-dev] Interactive Matplotlib in the browser

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:06:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/12 10:45 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
>> It is not clear to me that the stream of PNGs will win in the end.
>
> What do you see as alternatives?  Reimplementing matplotlib in the
> browser?  SVG-based rendering, where we send over a complete svg image
> at each step (or just the changed svd elements)?  I'm curious what other
> ideas you have.

There are two cases:

* Small data sets and relatively simple plots types.  For these, I do
think it makes sense to send the raw JSON data to the browser and
implement a Javascript based plotting library that consumes the JSON
and has an extremely high level of interactivity.  I don't think we
need to do *all* possible plot types with the pixel perfection,
embedded math, infinite configurability.  When people are working
interactively they want: i) plots that look spectacular - pixelized
images don't cut it and ii) high levels of interactivity.
I am not suggesting that we reimplement all of Matplotlib.

Keep in mind that current situation with Matplotlib and the IPython
Notebook is not very ideal.  The pngs that are the default don't look
that great and svg is not yet good enough to use as the default.  We
really do need in browser plotting that *looks* better.

Another important aspect of the JSON data approach.  We want to enable
Notebooks to be viewed and used in contexts outside the actual
notebook interface (nbviewer for example) where there is *no* python
code that is run.  Because we save the JSON data in the notebook, JSON
based plotting can be done interactively in contexts like nbviewer.
For sharing computational results with a wide audience that is
critical.

* Large data sets

I don't really have any alternatives - this is simply a really hard
problem.  In some contexts downsampling is possible.  In other
contexts it is possible to stream subsets of JSON data at are required
for the current view.  It is my impression that the folks at Continuum
are working on this problem.  Maybe they have some insight into this
problem.