[IPython-dev] Interactive Matplotlib in the browser

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Fri Oct 12 15:40:52 EDT 2012

On 10/12/12 12:04 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> I found a better way -- recent versions of the websockets API do support
> binary data.  The magic incantation to put load binary data into an
> image object is here:
>
> https://github.com/binaryjs/binaryjs/blob/master/examples/helloworld/index.html

My main obstruction was figuring out how to get the image data into the
canvas (correctly interpreted, etc).  It seems that using putImage
overwrites all pixels on the canvas, regardless of the transparency
settings, at least from what I read.

> I've created a new github repo for this -- if we're going to collaborate
> on this before it develops into a real patch against matplotlib and/or
> ipython and/or sage that should be more convenient than using gists.
>
> https://github.com/mdboom/mpl_browser_experiments

Great.  I may be somewhat offline for a few days, but mid-next week I'll
be looking at this more for sure.

Thanks,

Jason