[IPython-dev] interactive widgets with d3 and three.js

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:22:54 EDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Chris Kees <cekees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>>> I'm trying to build some interactive representations of geometric
>>> objects (domains of pde's) in the notebook. For now I'm using d3.js
>>> and three.js for the interactive representation and haven't written
>>> any callbacks to actually change the python representations so this
>>> equations is just about display for now. I'm starting with rectangles
>>> and rectangular cuboids. I can't seem to get the objects to display
>>> and interact properly without separating the html from the javascript
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> display(d.html) #add a canvas or div element
>>> d.javascript #get the canvas or div element and render to it with
>>> d3.js or three.js
>>>
>>> Shouldn't I be able to just stick the javascript in a <script> element
>>> and get the right behavior from d.html? Or should I actually be
>>> grabbing some element id in the javascript and just having the
>>> javascript modify it? It's not really that big of a deal--I'll
>>> probably add and edit() or show() function anyway. I'm more concerned
>>> about straightening out my understanding of how ipython is interacting
>>> with the generated html for a given notebook.
>>
>> Yes, if you want to do everything with JS, you will need to learn
>> about jquery and use that to modify the DOM.  When the JS code is run,
>> there are two jquery objects you have access to:  element and
>> container:
>>
>> element = the div that all output should go into.  You will usually do
>> element.append(new_stuff)
>> container = the div that is outside the element that starts out
>> hidden.  In your JS code you will want to call container.show()
>>

> Hey Brian,
>
> I have it sort of working with this:
>
> this.element.append("<div id='mydiv'></div>")
> var rectDemo = d3.select("#mydiv")
> .append("svg")
> .attr("width", 400)
> .attr("height", 400);
> rectDemo.append("rect")
> .style("stroke", "red")
> .attr("width",350)
> .attr("height", 350)
> $(".container").show();

Yes, this type of thing looks right.

> Seems like I should be able to do it with just d3 selections, but I
> don't seem to have mastered selections yet.  I can get by with a hack
> for now.
>
> To make sure I understand the path forward: In the future the process
> of creating and using a javascript widget will be to write Python code
> that packs up the object and some instructions as a json message in
> the python code which will be sent to the client (with
> display(my_json_msg) say).  Then there will be a case statement in the
> notebook javascript that matches some tag in my_json_msg with a set of
>  pre-defined javascript functions that  have to be configured server
> side. That way the only way to do damage is to exploit weaknesses in
> the catalog of javascript functions installed server side.
>
> I've spent a little time looking at the "Z Callbacks" notebook example
> and your branch/example. I'm wondering if there's a simple way for me
> to mimic this in my existing notebook that would allow me to put all
> the javascript code in the first markdown cell and do everything else
> with the standard display api. For example my domain class could
> implement
>
> def show():
>       display(my_display_only_json_msg)
> def edit():
>       display(my_editor_json_msg)

I don't think there is a way to get this working with what we have
now.  The problem is that there isn't any append_json method in master
that knows how to dispatch to the handlers.  That is something we need
to add first.