[IPython-dev] internationalisation and translation of ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:01:17 EDT 2012

On 3 September 2012 18:08, Nicolas Pettiaux <nicolas at pettiaux.be> wrote:
> This is exactely what I hope. And there exist many different
> infrastructure today,
>
> http://transifex.com
> http://weblate.org
> http://translatewiki.net
> http://pootle.python.org/

I think that's the relatively easy bit - any of those services, along
with various desktop applications, will let people translate messages
using a standard file format. What I'm less sure of is how we should
integrate the translation files into our development workflow and our
distribution methods. For example:
- If I change a string in development, do I need to remember to update
message catalogues?
- Should translators be working on the development version, or the
stable release?
- Should the IPython package you download include translation files,
or should they be separately downloadable?
- What will distro packagers expect from us?

Thanks,
Thomas