[IPython-dev] (no subject)

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 00:17:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, we can easily include an extension later if we realise it would
> be more valuable like that, but dropping a default extension is more
> disruptive.

Pretty much agreeing with everything Thomas said :)  And thanks for
creating the Mathematica one, that could be very useful to many (and
would have been to me a few years ago).

As long as *your* code is properly licensed, there's no problem in
having IPython extensions that interface with proprietary tools,
especially high-value/interest ones such as Mathematica and Matlab.

I agree that we should probably start with having it independently
maintained at least for now, in particular because putting it in the
core creates a testing problem for us: we can all have machines
configured with cython, R and octave to run a full test suite, but we
don't necessarily have Mathematica or Matlab available for testing. As
long as you maintain it, you can ensure that it remains in working
condition.

But we're very happy to see this contribution, by all means add it to
the extensions index!