[IPython-dev] changing input_splitter from config

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 20:17:51 EDT 2012

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com> wrote:

> I have to say I'm really impressed (again) with the hook system and the
> config system.  I'm trying to shift all of the Sage customizations into
> either a config file or an extension (i.e., a combination of both), and
> so far, it's working out nicely.  (And it's fairly simple thanks to the
> work other Sage devs did already in a first pass at migrating to the
> newest ipython [1]).

Glad to hear that, and it's important to note that we view that goal
as something that you should be able to achieve; if something prevents
it in IPython, it's a bug.  The Sage command line client is a heavily
customized ipython, but it doesn't fundamentally change the logic of a
REPL, so it should be 100% doable via configuration/extension fixes,
without having to subclass/rewrite any of the main parts of the code.
Keep on pinging us if you find anything that prevents that (and I know
that the docs explaining this could use improvement).