[IPython-dev] IPython Notebook on Webfaction

T J tjhnson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 03:49:37 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm looking to set up an ipython notebook over SSL on Webfaction [1], a
shared-hosting service.  There was a previous inquiry [2] to this list, but
that thread did not involve SSL.

With Webfaction, all SSL negotiations happen on the frontend Nginx server.
 Once that finishes, all requests are forwarded to the app as regular HTTP.
 Practically, this means there is no need to tell IPython about my
key/certificate.  All I do is configure my application in Webfaction's
control panel so that it is served on HTTPS and then run the IPython
notebook "unencrypted".  [Correct me if this is wrong.]

After doing this, I was able to connect without receiving any 502 errors,
but then I was receiving "404: Not Found", just as in [2].  The problem
seems to be that nginx does not support the websocket protocol...and the
IPython notebook uses this protocol through tornado.

As in [2], the situation is fixable.  Webfaction will provide an IP address
and provide a single port that receives HTTPS requests directly (without a
proxy).  Note that in this situation it is necessary to provide my
key/certificate to IPython so that communications are encrypted.

So now we come to the last of it:  Webfaction provides a single port.  On:

    http://community.webfaction.com/questions/9320/ipython-notebook

the last response from the OP mentions that each open notebook uses 3
random ports (which differ from the port that the IPython notebook server
listens on).  Is this true?  This seems like it would be an issue for me.
 Can someone explain, in general, what IPython notebook is doing with these
other ports?

I can probably get Webfaction to open up a fixed port range for me.  Is the
behavior which governs port selection configurable? What I'd like to do is
tell IPython notebook that it can only use ports in a particular range and
if there aren't enough available, then a new notebook cannot be opened.

------
[1] http://www.webfaction.com/
[2]
http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/ipython-on-webfaction-hosting-tt4979054.html#none