[IPython-dev] idea "native" ipython notebook

Carlos Córdoba ccordoba12 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:21:30 EDT 2013

Hi,

We, the Spyder team, will try to add the notebook as a plugin for our
next release (2.3 or 2.4, not still sure). This would not only have the
advantage to make it run as a desktop app (like Mathematica) but we
could also connect our other plugins to it (e.g the variable explorer,
debugger and object inspector) to have a more Matlab oriented experience
too.

Our idea is to start with the simplest approach: embedding each notebook
in a QtWebKit widget and not using the dashboard. We are waiting for
several enhancements to be merged to IPython master (like persistent
UUIDs, multi-directory support and the new kernel API) before
proceeding. All these things will make far more easier for us to
manipulate the notebook as it's possible now with qtconsole.

Cheers,
Carlos