[IPython-dev] IPython.config, HasTraits, Traitlets as an independent library?

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 05:24:02 EDT 2013

Le 16 avr. 2013 à 03:17, Robert McGbibbon a écrit :

> Hey,
>
> I've become convinced that IPython's traits-based configuration system
> is awesome, and really useful for other
> projects that have a command line app that needs to be configured,
> either with command line flags or a config file. I really like how it
> lets me keep my apps DRY, by automatically exposing a traitlet as a
> configurable command line option without having to repeat the
> docstring/helptext, and how you basically get file based configuration
> in addition to command line configuration basically for free.

> Are others using the IPython config system outside of the IPython
> codebase itself?

Yes, nbconvert/nbconvert2 … Ok, I know it does not count.

> There's not a lot of documentation, but I think it
> really beats systems like the cement framework.
>
> I'm wondering if it makes sense to think about the config system as a
> modular framework to be used by other packages as well.

I agree, but there are still some assumptions that config stuff is run from inside IPython
that should be removed before. The second things is that config file are not updatable by
a program, they have to be edited by hand. (side effect of being pure python file)
It would be really great to have the ability to read/write form/to a plain configuration file.
Apparently python3 is good at that.

> The logical
> extension of that would be to spin it off as another repo/project that
> IPython depended on, but that's a little premature. More realistic would
> be to write up maybe some documentation on how to use the config system
> in your own app.

IPython docs is great for that. Nbconvert2 is really small if you need a self contained example.
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/overview.html

--
Matthias