[IPython-dev] IPyTables - simple table construction for IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 15:08:43 EDT 2013

On 8 August 2013 05:52, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:

> What about sorting by columns?  (I.e. spicing up the HTML version with
> appropriate JS magic?)

We should have a look at how that works with security - IIRC, the plan is
that notebooks will be able to run arbitrary Javascript on execution, but
not on loading. But even just getting a good HTML and terminal table there
is a pretty big win, I thin.

Matthias has explained about forking and cloning gists. At some point, we
should probably put this into a proper git repository somewhere. We should
also rename it to something more distinct from ipy_table. Maybe something
like tableview?

Abraham:
> This is quite cool!  You might want to develop it with an eye towards
inclusion in pandas, a very nice table data package that already has some
html representation of notebooks when using ipython.

Thanks Abraham. I think pandas is already ahead on this front. The aim of
IPyTables (or whatever we rename it to) is to have a simple high-level
interface for building visual tables in hand-written notebook code. If we
end up improving the basic table machinery, we could pull out the low level
stuff to share with pandas, but that's probably something for another day.

Thomas