[IPython-dev] Fwd: [SciTech] ActivePapers Python edition

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 12:55:22 EST 2013

On 5 December 2013 09:13, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net> wrote:

> One advantage of storing notebooks cells as ActivePapers calclets (and
> thus as HDF5 datasets) is the possibility to open any ActivePapers
> file as a notebook, even if it was generated in a different way.

Do ActivePapers calclets have a notion of order? i.e. this should be run
before that?

>   > We have considered the possibility of having cells stored
>  > externally to the notebook, so you could have a cell whose contents
>  > were stored in a plain Python file, which could then be shared
>  > between multiple notebooks.
>
> An interesting idea, but potentially a data management headache.
> What do you do if an external file disappears?

Presumably it would be an empty cell, or show an error. This was only a
concept, we've not implemented it at all. But the paradigm is familiar
enough from any file that can reference external resources, like images in
an HTML document.

Best wishes,
Thomas