[IPython-dev] listing subfolders in the tree

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 02:50:56 EST 2013

Hi all,

This issue has come up a couple of times, but since it hasn't been
settled, I wonder, whether I could raise it once more. At the moment,
the notebook tree lists notebook files that are in the directory, in
which the server was started, but the server doesn't descend into
subfolders.

What I would like to do is search for all .ipynb files in all subfolders
of the root, wrap the links in a dynatree structure, and serve that, so
that the directory structure would be preserved in the front-end, and
directories could be collapsed etc. Alternatively, folders could be
added as a new tab, next to clusters.

However, I can't really locate the entry point in the code. (Apart from
this, I believe, it could be beneficial, if users could serve custom
content.) I know that I could just point the address to the
subdirectories, but the problem still remains: only one folder is listed
at a given time.

Oh, and perhaps most importantly, is this a reasonable approach, or
there are some design considerations that I don't know of? In any case,
comments on why I should or should not do this are welcome.

Cheers,
Zoltán