[IPython-dev] listing subfolders in the tree

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 10:07:38 EST 2013

Hi Zoltán,

Le 6 déc. 2013 à 13:36, Zoltán Vörös a écrit :

>> Knowing that the dashboard is refreshed often that some people have
>> notebook on network storage traversing hard-drive recursively is not an
>> alternative that will be shipped in core.
> This is a good point, but I don't think that making this configurable
> would upset anything.

That's configurable. It is probably a DottedObjectName
Bookstore (https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bookstore) is an alternative backend that
store notebook on RackSpace (and allow versioning)

>> as you are aware master can see content in subfolder
>> go to
>>
>> <domain>/tree/<subfolder>/<subsubfolder>
>>
>> and open notebook with
>>
>> <domain>/notebook/<subfolder>/<subsubfolder>/<notebook.ipynb>
>>
>> The only missing thing is UI , but the full REST URL scheme is ready.
> Yes, that's true, but then one still has to know the name of the
> folders. Wouldn't life be much easier, if the folders were served right
> away?

If by right away you mean list all ipynb in subfolder, it can be problematic.
Still nothing prevent you to do that.

> And I think, my related suggestion is still valid: if users could tamper
> with what exactly is served on the dashboard, that would make the
> front-end quite flexible. One might want to order notebooks by
> creation/modification date, or size, or whether a notebook has a
> particular keyword, or I have no idea. The point is that some processing
> has to be done. I think it would be OK, if these extra options could be
> passed to the server on the command line. All I am asking for is a means
> of executing code and inserting the results into the dashboard when the
> server examines the folder in question. Is that totally unreasonable?

Yes it is reasonable, and we have plan to have a more advanced dashboard.
The current handler should be TreeHandler in IPython/html/tree/handler.py

Session Api already exposes modified dates act, you can read more here :
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPEP-16%3A-Notebook-multi-directory-dashboard-and-URL-mapping

The problem is that we have no way (yet) to send configuration to the Javascript Side, even if we would like to.
Also we would like to avoid reinventing the wheel and use a pre-existing javascript library to handle the browsing client-side.

We in particular also want the ability to chose between different kernel when you start a notebook.
So we are moving slowly  in this direction.

If you start anything, I would suggest for you to contact Zach Sailer that wrote most part of the REST api
and have somewhere a Draft Branch of UI where you can open folders, and order things IIRC.