[IPython-dev] iPython binary wheels for OS-X

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sun Dec 8 18:06:16 EST 2013

Hi folks,

If you are not on the distutils-sig list, and you probably aren't, we've
been moving forward with trying to get the new binary wheel format better
used and tested.

In this spirit, I've built some binary wheels for iPython and its
dependencies. Ralf Gommers was nice enough to put them up on source forge
for all to see and test. Here's his note to the numpy list:

At http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/wheels_to_test/ you can find
> a set of wheels, for numpy, scipy and ipython plus its dependencies. These
> are for the following configuration only:
>   - OSX >= 10.6
>   - Python 2.7 32/64-bit from python.org
>
> It would be great if OS X users could test these. We're interested in
> whether these wheels work, and also if you run into any issues installing
> wheels. Since (a) I'm not really sure myself what the recommended and most
> robust way is to install wheels, and (b) it's interesting to see if the
> docs and usability of pip/wheel are ready for prime time, I'm not going to
> give the commands to execute but instead link to the relevant docs:
>
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/index.html
> http://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
> http://wheel.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
>
> Please try this out and share your experience.

You probably want to use ipython[all] to get all the stuff that the
notebook needs...

One thing I noticed is that readline is NOT listed as a dependency --
strictly speaking, it's not, but you really do want it, particualry on
OS-X. Maybe we should add it. Also, the warnign about readline in ipython
says that "pip install" does not work right, but it's working fine for me
-- outdated note? or am I just lucky?

A tiny bit of background:

I'm hoping for wheel to get better supported in general, it would be really
nice if folks could "pip install" more stuff. And my focus in on OS-X users
that aren't unix geeks at the moment.

But in particular, at the moment I am teaching a general intro to python
class: no numpy,scipy, etc....

But iPython, as we all know, is awesome, so I've been using it in demos,
and want my students to be able to use it to.

I've told Windows users to go to the Gohlke repo to get it.

Linux users can either use their system package maager, or probably pip
intstall it.

Mac users that aren't using HomeBrew or MacPorts are a bit stuck.

The iPython web page suggests that they should go get Anocanda or Canopy --
which may be the best way to go if you want the whole scipy stack, but if
you want iPython, and also want a system compatible with virtualenv, all
the web development packages, and desktop stuff like wxPython, etc, it may
not be the way to go. In particular, I had a couple students install
Anaconda, and then find themselves stuck trying to use wxPython. I've had a
bunch of emails on the distuitls list, and with Travis O, and maybe the
future will be better compatibility with Anocanda and other systems, but
nevertheless, I think it's a good idea to have and easy way for folks to
"just get ipython" :

pip --use_wheel ipython[all]

and presto! have it ready to go.

By the way, the wheels themselves are trivially easy to build, once
setup.py build works....

-Chris

PS: we should do Windows,too.....but I only have an old copy of XP on an
old netbook, so that probably won't be me!

PPS: and py3....

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov