[IPython-dev] iPython binary wheels for OS-X

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 01:19:57 EST 2013

>  pyreadline really should use a different name, and then ipython could simply depend on that.

+1. There are several instances of third party modules "rewriting"
standard library modules for whatever reason (urllib3, regex, tulip).
In all cases, they just use different names, and leave it up to the
libraries that use them to choose them over the stdlib versions.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Too bad about the licensing of readline, but maybe it would actually be
>> better if core python simple used an appropriately licenced library and
>> bundles that -- i.e. libedit, though I guess it really isn't as good.
>>

>> I had thought or was liberally licensed, but now I'm not so sure. PyPI
>> lists it as both GPL and PSF. I guess we should ask the author.
>>
> the readline lib itself is GPL -- in fact it's used an example by teh FSF
> for why you should license things that way -- even libraries.
>
> I suspect that readline itself is GPL. and the Python wrappers are PSF --
> which makes the whole thing GPL once you actually use it....Which readline
> itself is not in the python source tree, and why it's not on the Mac.
>
> -Chris

I asked at https://github.com/stefanholek/rl/issues/9 so we can find
out for sure.

Aaron Meurer