[IPython-dev] iPython binary wheels for OS-X

Ludwig Schwardt ludwig.schwardt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 02:55:56 EST 2013

Hi,

> I had thought [rl] was liberally licensed, but now I'm not so sure. PyPI
> lists it as both GPL and PSF. I guess we should ask the author.

Chris is right on this one. The GNU readline library itself is GPL, which
is the
real source of all these issues :-)

> By the way on this one, Apple has made this extra complicated: 10.9 ships
> with numpy, scipy, and matplotlib (among other things - setuptools,
> twisted, etc.).

I can add a sixth option: "brew install" from samueljohn's tap. I've been
running
system Python for many years until I decided to try out brew Python in this
OS iteration, so I guess I sidestepped the problem...

There is also a positive side to Apple's latest incarnation - if a newbie
simply
wants to try out numpy/scipy/matplotlib to see what it is about, he/she does
not have to install *anything*! OK, maybe IPython ;-) Having numpy 1.6.2,
scipy 0.11.0 and matplotlib 1.1.1 out of the box is not too shabby for most
purposes. For the power users it is still a source of irritation, though.

Renaming the module is definitely a good avenue to explore. I'll check with
the other regular users such as ActivePython whether it works for them
as well.

Regards,
Ludwig