[IPython-dev] A notebook-based D3 viewer for matplotlib

Phil Elson pelson.pub at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 05:04:36 EST 2013

Very nice. I can see this being massively valuable for the presentation of
graphics for kernel-less notebook usage (i.e. nbviewer), the only problem
IMHO is that there is a disconnect with some of the functionality (such as
Axis locators and formatters) which has to happen at the Python level and
cannot be computed in JS (unless, in the common cases, it is possible to
compile the Python using skulpt, or some other tool). Did you play with
exporting 2D visualisations such as QuadMesh and Images?

Jason (Grout) has been working on an extension to the already released
WebAgg backend (http://matplotlib.org/users/whats_new.html#webagg-backend)
which uses IPython's comm interface for truly interactive figures in a live
IPython environment - I'm hoping to take that in the near future and turn
it into a backend (with very little work on my part) so that you can use
the usual pyplot interface rather than the OO one, and so that the
end-to-end experience is seamless (right through to a static rendering of
the figure in the ipynb file itself).

Anyway, thanks for sharing Jake!

Cheers,

Phil