[IPython-dev] Line-based frontends - architecture

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 05:29:10 EST 2013

On 8 February 2013 01:14, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:

> So really you would just want to swap Enter and Shift-Enter in a web
> console. The point is that executing is the default. It has nothing to do
> with it being forced to also mean newline based on the context.

No, that would be worse. You'd be happily using the console, and then you'd
type 'a="""foo<enter>' or 'def f(x):<enter>', and instead of doing anything
sensible, it would just throw a SyntaxError at you.

I think the automatic newline/execute is simply the most convenient
mechanism for a console. Using other consoles, I've never wanted to be
forced to use separate keys (although there are cases where it's useful to
override the automatic decision). Everything else sounds like a workaround
for a console that's unable to tell whether my input is complete. And we
don't need that: we can fairly easily add that capability, which we already
use in the Qt console.

Thomas