[IPython-dev] GH wiki updates

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:45:13 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for doing this work.
>

> On 14 February 2013 20:01, Brian Granger <ellisonbg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> * I have gone through and created pseudo namespaces for our wiki pages
>> using prefixes in the page names such as "Dev:" and "Install:" and
>> "Cookbook:".   Please use this from now on.
>

> Is there any way to create redirects on Github wikis? I'd ensured that links
> to wiki.ipython.org were correctly redirected to the corresponding Github
> wiki pages, but of course the URL changes have broken that. Maybe I can
> patch the Cookbook pages with a bit more regex-foo...

The GH wiki has been changed to an extent that I don't think it is
worth trying to maintain links.  Our goal with moving the wiki to GH
was to consolidate our content - not create an additional maintenance
burden.  I have removed many pages, combined others, renamed almost
all and added new ones.  I am fine with a single bulk redirect from
wiki.ipython.org to the GH wiki.

> Likewise, with removing parts from the Sphinx docs, I wonder if we should
> link to the corresponding Wiki pages? I see breaking links as the web
> equivalent of breaking APIs, so I think it's something we shouldn't do
> lightly.

Good point, I will add a link from the Sphinx dev docs index to the
Dev: part of the GH wiki.

Cheers,

Brian