[IPython-dev] New developers looking to help

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 01:23:07 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, satshabad khalsa
<satshabad.music at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi IPython community,
>
> My friend Zack (cc'ed) and I are seniors at Cal Poly Pomona studying
> computer science. In our current class we have a term assignment to go out
> and find an open source project and submit two patches. We wanted to
> contribute to Ipython because it's awesome. I use it all the time to start
> prototyping python projects and even as my calculator. I also think the
> Ipython notebook thing is pretty rad as well.
>
> We were wondering if anyone was willing to give us a few nudges in the
> right direction as to which issues would be good ones to work on? They
> don't have to be easy (in fact we get more points if they're not).
>
> If someone wouldn't mind pointing us in the right direction please get in
> touch. I've started reading the developer's guide<http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/development/index.html>and getting an idea of how Ipython works, but as for choosing which issues
> need work, and would be do-able for 2 students in a matter of weeks, I'm
> not so sure. I hope that from this school assignment I can become a regular
> contributor to the Ipython community.

We try to mark some of the easier to fix issues with
'Sprint-Friendly<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues?labels=Sprint-Friendly>'
or 'quickfix <https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues?labels=quickfix>'.
These are the places we recommend new contributors start looking
(also docs, but it sounds like that's not what you need for your
assignment).
Or you can just browse our rather large Issues
list<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues> for
something that strikes your fancy.

Our GitHub notes
<https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/IPython-on-GitHub> have
some information on making contributions.

Looking forward to your pull requests!

-MinRK