[IPython-dev] New developers looking to help

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:05:51 EST 2013

Le 11 janv. 2013 à 19:10, satshabad khalsa a écrit :

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Robert McGibbon <rmcgibbo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the qtconsole and notebook, all of that stuff has to be done differently because the mechanisms for reading from the input line are different.

So,

Qtconsole is mostly a custom Qt/PyQt RichTextWidget.

You would have to look to
IPython/frontend/qt/console/
probably console_widget.py

We have not defined any specific UI for the search so you are pretty free with that.

The tricky part will probably be the search in the pager that has, I guess custom scrolling, and IIRC is
monkey patch somewhere when docutils is installed to show formatted test.

I have no idea on how to search on a QTextEdit, already knowing this would be a first step.

Feel free to open a Draft Pull request to show what you are working on.

> Cool, so is this something worth working on (if it's finished, will the patch be accepted)? If so, would someone mind pointing out the documentation where we could get started, or even just the hooks in the code?

You do not need to implement the full feature.
If you can already layout some utility function that will help to implement the search it would already be really good.
Something working is not always accepted as is, there are often code style/naming/testing that will be needed around.
But if there is already part of the logic that is well written documented and tested it has high chance of being merge, and
it will already be a big step forward that will be greatly appreciated. So again don't hesitate to open a PR even early on dev process to get feedback.
We'll do our best to follow.

I think the most useful part would be the ability to search through the pager when a lot of text is send.

cf
def _page(self, text, html=False):
of above cited file

Feel free to ask more question or more precisions.
dev doc is availlable here
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev

but I'm not sure it is really consistent for the qtconsole.

partial daily build is available on rtfd
here
https://ipython.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

--
Matthias