[IPython-dev] Merging nbconvert **now**

cyclebelfast at gmail.com cyclebelfast at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 02:43:03 EDT 2013

On 30/06/13 20:28, Brian Granger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As everyone knows, we are thinking about releasing IPython 1.0 in the
> next few weeks - with nbconvert in the main codebase.  If we are going
> to do this, I think we should put nbconvert into IPython proper now -
> halt all work on nbconvert and just put it into IPython/nbconvert.
> There are a few reasons I say this:
>
> * There are decisions being made in nbconvert (such as the whether or
> not to include reveal.js as a submodule) that we should really be
> making in the context of IPython.
> * There will be a lot of integration work to be done (setup.py,
> testing, etc) that also should be done in the context of IPython
> * I want the discussions about nbconvert to start to happen in the
> context of IPython.
> * To this day, nbconvert can't be setup.py installed, which is
> preventing other projects such as dexy from moving forward with
> integration.
[...]
> --
> Brian E. Granger
> bgranger at calpoly.edu and ellisonbg at gmail.com

Hi, just a data point. I hacked and munged nbconvert to a single module
here:

https://github.com/averagehuman/ipynb2html

because

1) It didn't support the creation of HTML fragments for including in
other output (eg. static blog engine/django templatetag)
2) It wasn't an installable package.

Here is the ReST directive I wrote for including an IPython notebook in
a Pelican blog post:

https://gist.github.com/averagehuman/5925401

Thanks to whoever is working on nbconvert, I hope my use case can be
supported.