[IPython-dev] Using upstart to start ipython notebook.

Jared Kibele jkibele at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 21:36:33 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm running iPython notebook on an Amazone EC2 instance. Everything works
fine when I start ipython from ssh but when I close the ssh connection, the
notebook server dies. It seems like it would be better to use upstart to
manage the notebook server but I can't quite get it working. I think I'm
having the problem mentioned
here<http://python.6.x6.nabble.com/Notebook-doesn-t-load-profile-when-started-on-boot-td4976770.html>.
I think upstart isn't starting as the correct user and therefore is failing
to find my ipython profile. Here's my upstart conf:

start on filesystem

stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
exec sudo -u ubuntu -i ipython notebook --profile=nbserver
--ipython-dir=/home/ubuntu

This is my first time attempting to use upstart and I'm finding the
documentation a bit overwhelming. Can anyone help set me straight and tell
me what's wrong with my conf file?

Thanks,
Jared Kibele
PhD Candidate