[IPython-dev] [ANN] IPython 1.0.0a1

MinRK benjaminrk at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 21:43:47 EDT 2013

First alpha of IPython 1.0.0 is now available, please give it a test drive.

http://archive.ipython.org/testing/1.0.0

Probably the quickest way to install:

pip install http://archive.ipython.org/testing/1.0.0/ipython-1.0.0a1.tar.gz

Lots of new stuff, especially in the notebook. Also significant performance
improvements in IPython.parallel and qtconsole, and a revamped input
transform system that should be much better behaved than ever before. Plus
loads of bugfixes all over the place, of course.

For a quick summary, see what's
new<http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/whatsnew/version1.0.html>
.

The most significant addition is nbconvert, accessible now as ipython
nbconvert [mynotebook.ipynb].

nbconvert is going to be decidedly in ‘tech preview’ mode for 1.0,
so we hope to hear from early adopters, particularly those using it to
integrate IPython with blogging engines or writing papers or documentation.
We full expect that by 2.0 there will need to be enough changes that some
APIs will not survive from 1.0 to 2.0, so you should be aware of that.

There will still be a few more adjustments to nbconvert,
and more fleshing out of documentation before 1.0 is released.

Please report any installation issues you encounter, that's the most
important part of this first alpha.

We are happy to get this out before our big all hands dev meeting this week,
and only six days behind schedule (who said that July 15 was the target for
*final* release of 1.0?)

Thanks for everyone's contributions in getting us this far!

-MinRK et al. IPython Devs