[IPython-dev] InputSplitter and SyntaxError

Volker Braun vbraun.name at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 19:17:03 EDT 2013

In IPython 0.13.2, if the input_splitter.push() method raises an exception
then it is not caught, terminating the IPython process. Sage defines a
special syntax for some mathematical objects and we would like to have a way
to tell the user about misbalanced brackets, but I don't see how that is
supposed to work. Is there a way?

I see that the new IPython 1.0 reworks the input splitter framework so
perhaps it is fixed,  but looking at the github sources I don't see any
additional catching of exceptions. Though I haven't actually tried with the
new IPython alpha since Sage still needs some work to use it.

More details at http://trac.sagemath.org/14961