[IPython-dev] IPython (Qt console & Notebook) 0.13.2 on Mer / Nemo / Plasma Active / Sailfish OS

Roberto Colistete Jr. roberto.colistete at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 17:16:36 EDT 2013

Now it is time of Mer / Nemo / Plasma Active / Sailfish OS mobile OS to
have IPython.

IPython 0.13.2 is released (in Mer community repository) with full
terminal, Qt console and Notebook interfaces. See this post in topic
"Python (modules) on Mer/Nemo " of Talk Maemo.org forum, it also
includes screenshots of the interfaces :
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=1348541&postcount=15
But Nemo Mobile and Sailfish OS have until now only the Helium web
navigator which doesn't work with IPython Notebook : the Dashboard is
shown but the user can't select a notebook or create a new notebook.
Maybe a future and more complete web navigator will make possible to use
IPython Notebook on Nemo / Saifish OS.

I've updated the "IPython Wiki / Supplementary installation information
/ Mobile" section
(https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Install:-Mobile) to include Mer
/ Nemo / Plasma Active / Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch as mobile OS which
run IPython. From this wiki we see that it is very easy to have IPython
(even with Qt console and Notebook interfaces in some cases) on real
Linux mobile OS, while on Android it takes a lot of work from some
specific projets to have a working IPython and all of its dependencies.

One screenshot of IPython 0.13.2 showing SymPy 0.7.2 on Sailfish OS
emulator (from Sailfish SDK) :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/ipython/ipython_sympy_SailfishOS.png