[IPython-dev] Merging nbconvert **now**

Brian Granger ellisonbg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 15:28:33 EDT 2013

Hi,

As everyone knows, we are thinking about releasing IPython 1.0 in the
next few weeks - with nbconvert in the main codebase.  If we are going
to do this, I think we should put nbconvert into IPython proper now -
halt all work on nbconvert and just put it into IPython/nbconvert.
There are a few reasons I say this:

* There are decisions being made in nbconvert (such as the whether or
not to include reveal.js as a submodule) that we should really be
making in the context of IPython.
* There will be a lot of integration work to be done (setup.py,
testing, etc) that also should be done in the context of IPython
* I want the discussions about nbconvert to start to happen in the
context of IPython.
* To this day, nbconvert can't be setup.py installed, which is
preventing other projects such as dexy from moving forward with
integration.

Note, I am not even saying that we should create a PR to do this work
and then *perfect* the PR before merging.  I think we should create a
PR and merge it almost immediately - this is a case where the code
drop is big enough and late enough that I would prefer to break master
as soon as possible.

What do others think?

Cheers,

Brian