[IPython-dev] IPyTables - simple table construction for IPython

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 07:16:34 EST 2013

Working in the Notebook recently, I've found that I often want to display
results in a table. pandas' DataFrames display nicely, but they're not
terribly convenient if your data isn't already in that form, and I found
myself assembling HTML in my code.

Enter IPyTables. It's a simple interface to build tables for display in the
notebook. At the easiest, you just pass in a series of tuples:

Table((4, 1, 8),
      (9, 7, 3),
      (5, 2, 6))

With a little bit more effort, you can add header cells and customise the
formatting.

Demo: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/5098827
Module: https://gist.github.com/takluyver/5098835

This is a prototype that I've thrown together quickly: feedback is very
welcome. Obvious extensions include:

- Expose more style attributes for customisation (so far it's just text and
background colour)
- Add a plain text repr(), so that tables are useable in the terminal

Thanks,
Thomas