[IPython-dev] ANN: Exhibitionist - integrating HTML/JS UIs into interactive python work

yoval p. y-p at gmx.com
Wed Mar 6 17:36:10 EST 2013

Here's hoping mailman picks this up into the correct thread...

Hi Brian/Matthaias,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm looking forward to superior functionality being available
in IPython, though your roadmap is unclear on whether
this will actually land late this year or in 2014.

To reiterate, The only IPython functionality needed
is the ability to load and view remote HTML pages, and that only
as a substitute to using a separate browser window.
Is that really something you're planning to disallow?
If so, I strongly urge you not to throw away a feature that makes
IPython-notebook as powerful as the web.

Wouldn't an Opt-in mechanism be sufficient?

As for strong assumptions, The only assumption I'm really making
is that there's a network connection between the front-end and
where the kernel is. Cross-origin issues are already addressed with
built-in JSONP and CORS support.
Could you elaborate on how this assumption might be violated in the future?
Surely a user working on his laptop on a local file, with a local kernel
should be able to access local urls. I'm less interested in other
use-cases, and frankly don't have the resources to pursue them.

I'm trying to keep things generic, so hopefully views will be
easily portable to the new architecture when it arrives.

I've started work on a crossfilter (http://square.github.com/crossfilter/ ) based
"lasso" UI, that allows you to graphically filter a python dataset by selecting
points across different dimensions, and pick up the filtered dataset back in python.
Unless I hit a wall, there should be a demo up in a couple of weeks.

stay tuned,
Yoval

Brian Granger Wrote:
> This is really cool to see work like this happening. Very nice! >> I wanted to update you on the development situation with IPython that > may affect your code:This is really cool to see work like this happening. Very nice!
I wanted to update you on the development situation with IPython that may affect your code: * We plan on starting to work on creating a nice architecture for interactive JavaScript widgets, in late summer. * This architecture will enable all of this to be done without any additional server logic. * Using additional server logic as you have done is not officially supported. What I mean by this is that the notebook architecture may change in a way that makes it impossible to do this type of thing. The problem is that you have made some strong assumptions about where the notebook server, kernel and your server are running. The preferred way of getting data back and forth between python and the browser is to use our message channels. Currently these channels are not sufficient for what you want to do, but after are work later this year, they will be. * Because of security issues are are moving away from the notebook being able to execute dynamically generated javascript code. We will replace this with a javascript plugin system that is more secure. You will have to rewrite things when this happens. Cheers, Brian