[IPython-dev] pexpect in ipython notebook

Adam Lyon lyon at fnal.gov
Wed Mar 13 15:55:11 EDT 2013

Hi, I've been waiting a long time for something like the IPython notebook
and am really happy with what you all have done!

One thing I like to do is document certain procedures to follow on our
machines here, and to that end I've written an extension that has magics to
allow use of pexpect easily in the notebook.

For an example, see
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/home.fnal.gov/~lyon/ipython_ext/ipythonPexpect_example.ipynb

and https://cdcvs.fnal.gov/redmine/projects/ipython_ext/wiki for general
information.

One of the interesting things this extension can do is to "lock" the
notebook so that all notebook input goes to a pexpect session without any
%% in the cell. Of course one must be careful with this, but I find it
useful.

Is such an extension useful to others? Did I break any IPython golden
rules?

Thanks for taking a look. I'm looking forward to using IPython notebooks
more in my work!

-- Adam

Adam Lyon (lyon at fnal.gov <lyon at fnal.gov>)
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
Computing Division / Running Experiments Data Handling Group Leader
D0 & g-2 Experiments