[IPython-dev] Packaging javascript views as a self-contained package

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 15:45:10 EDT 2013

Le 23 mars 2013 à 13:46, yoval p. a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for a way to package views as single file
> the python,js and static assets of a "widget" for exhibitionist.
>
> After doing some tests with the python `zipimport` module and it
> seems like it provide all the functionality I need, including accessing
> data files (html templates, js) stored within, so it look viable.
>
> I've read some bits and pieces that suggest the IPython team
> has also given this some thought, I'd appreciate your opinion
> on this way of doing things, if you've considered it and perhaps
> found it lacking in some way.

I don't quite remember of what we said. We know that we don't want to reinvent the wheel,
and probably want a system that is able to deal with dependencies, both python and js/css.
Our server especially require that some files are installed in the profile dir for now, so I'm
not sure of how zipimport will work with js.

I personally had a look at npm/bower/component.io

I have a slight preference for component.io and npm (even if in dev we use bower right now)
but didn't had a deep look at how it handles python files.

--
Matthias