[IPython-dev] IPython "lab meetings" on g+ hangouts on air

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun May 19 16:34:48 EDT 2013

Does anyone have any good suggestions on a tool for collaborative
note-taking, so that we can leave some public summary/record of these
meetings with minimal fuss?

A google doc is a bit of a hassle for this, I think, esp. since we
want something to produce plaintext.

Etherpad is ugly as sin, but it's fairly functional and I know the
software carpentry folks use it very effectively.

Unless someone knows of a better solution, I guess we could just use
etherpad.  I'm not thinking of anything very involved, simply a
document for each meeting where everyone can type, and that we can
copy/paste to the mailing list at the end as a quick and dirty
summary.

I know we won't have time for formal minutes, so these docs could end
up being little more than a link to the URL for the youtube video.
But if there's anything worth summarizing in text, I think it will be
useful to have a note-taking app open with everyone involved.

Note that this is different from chat: g+ has an open chat channel,
but that's a sequence of messages.  What I'm thinking of is a proper
*editor* where we can leave a text file at the end; a chat app won't
work for this.

I want this to be very lightweight and low-friction, so hopefully a
simple g+ hangout plus a common text file is all we'll need.

I propose we go with the ugly etherpad unless anyone has a better
solution (but I'm happy to use something else if there is such a
thing).