[IPython-dev] IPython (Notebook) 0.13.2 on Ubuntu Touch OS

Roberto Colistete Jr. roberto.colistete at gmail.com
Tue May 28 14:22:03 EDT 2013

     Ubuntu Touch OS is Ubuntu for smartphones & tablets. Version 13.10
will be stable, currently it is very simplified and lacks many functions.

     But Ubuntu Touch 13.04 already has Python 2.7.4 and all the Python
modules of regular Ubuntu 13.04. But only softwares with GUI written in
Qt5/QML/HTML5 work, so those written using Gtk, Qt4, wxWidgets, etc,
can't work.

     Here is my first contact with Ubuntu Touch on a device (Nexus 4),
described in this portuguese blog article
<http://robertocolistete.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/ubuntu-touch-no-nexus-4-instalando-e-testando/>
:
http://robertocolistete.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/ubuntu-touch-no-nexus-4-instalando-e-testando/

Here is the (Google) english translation
<http://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frobertocolistete.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F26%2Fubuntu-touch-no-nexus-4-instalando-e-testando%2F>
:
http://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Frobertocolistete.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F05%2F26%2Fubuntu-touch-no-nexus-4-instalando-e-testando%2F

     Here are some screen photos (while I don't know how to screenshot
via software) :
http://www.robertocolistete.net/UbuntuTouch/IPython_SymPy_UbuntuTouch.jpg

IPython Notebook 0.13.2 running SymPy 0.7.2 with MathJax/TeX rendering.

http://www.robertocolistete.net/UbuntuTouch/IPython_SymPyPlotting_UbuntuTouch.jpg

IPython Notebook 0.13.2 showing the new plotting module (using PyLab) of
SymPy 0.7.2, embedded in the Notebook.

IPython 0.13.2 runs the Notebook interface. In server and client mode.
In client mode there are some issues due to current development of the
web navigator of Ubuntu Touch. IPython Notebook client works with
DashBoard, opens IPython Notebooks, renders MathJax and PyLab embedded
plots, make calculations, etc. But IPython Notebook doesn't allow to
create "New Notebook", large Notebooks which are not totally shown (the
scrolling is limited) and some bottons don't work very well.

I hope to see IPython Notebook more "touch-friendly" so it will work
better in mobile Linux OS : MeeGo Harmattan 1.2 (see below), Nemo /
Sailfish OS and Ubuntu Touch.