[IPython-dev] Discovering kernels/profiles

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 15:32:46 EST 2013

On 10 November 2013 11:40, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But other things might need to change when you change kernels. Like
>>  syntax highlighting,
>> execute_on_complete_block, logo in the notebook, default
>> code_mirror_theme.
>>

> Yes, and we need to figure out how to address that without creating a
> profile for each,
> because we need to be able to use multiple kernel types with one server
> instance,
> which means one profile.

Or possibly the server needs to take some of the settings from the
notebook's profile (i.e. what we currently think of as the kernel's
profile) when it displays a notebook.

Matthias
> Also I would be more in favor of a structure along :
>
> .ipython/profiles_default/
>        - config_*.json
>        - IJulia/
>                -config.json
>                -notebook-config.json

I don't much like this nested structure, or the idea of yet another layer
of config files interacting.

I suspect we need to think more clearly about the config system. The
different things that you can configure fall into several categories:
- Settings that belong with the user, e.g. extra toolbar buttons, or syntax
highlighting colours.
- Settings that belong with the notebook: which kernel to start, possibly
style options (but how does this interact with the user's own style
settings?)
- Settings that belong with the kernel: how to start the kernel, syntax
highlighting lexer, maybe the logo to display in the UI.
- User settings about the kernel: run this code on startup, etc.

We need to work out which settings are in each category, where they should
be stored, and how we should handle conflicts between them (e.g. if I have
overridden the default style and the notebook also comes with a stylesheet,
do we apply one or the other, or both?).

Thomas