[IPython-dev] ipython-notebook on remote server peculiarity

Pantelis Sopasakis p.sopasakis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 22:47:46 EST 2013

Dear all,

I posted a question related to python-notebook on stackoverflow, please see:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19896119/ipython-notebook-on-remote-server-peculiarity

I want to run an instance of ipython-notebook on a remote server and to access it remotely on the client's browser. For the time being I am not interested in security issues.

I connect to the remote server over SSH and I start ipython-notebook using the commands:

screen -S ipy
ipython notebook --ip='*' ---pylab=inline --port=7777

So far so good - everything works excellently server-side and client-side (not only on my computer, but also from other clients).

I then detach the screen (still everything OK) and then I log out from SSH. Then, I can connect to the remote server at http://someserver.sth:7777, but I can neither see the notebooks that I previously created listed, nor can I execute any code. Instead of my notebooks, I can only see a notebook titled 'Untitled0'. If I try to start my 'default' cluster, it gives me the error message: 'error starting cluster'. Server-side, I get the following error message (I uploaded it on github for your convenience):

https://gist.github.com/alphaville/7407447

The strange this is that when I reconnect everything works smoothly again, and in particular I am receiving the following log messages:

[NotebookApp] Using existing kernel: 1d102222-d480-4543-a0d9-628599fc3e6b
[NotebookApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:44393
[NotebookApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50684
[NotebookApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:45910
[NotebookApp] Using existing profile dir: u'/home/chung/.ipython/profile_default'
[NotebookApp] Changing to working dir: /home/chung

(the last line may be of particular interest).

Of course keeping an open SSH connection to the server is not a solution…

Could someone provide some hint? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Pantelis Sopasakis