[IPython-dev] Dependency on pyreadline

J=?iso-8859-1?Q?=F6?=rgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at kroywen.se
Wed Nov 20 03:25:40 EST 2013

Strictly speaking it is not imported into *every* python process. Only those that are interactive, for a script invoked by python script.py, pyreadline is not imported unless you import for instance pdb and use set_trace.

If you add disable_readline(True) to the pyreadline.ini file pyreadline should not integrate itself into the readline hooks of python and you would see the standard behaviour where ctrl-D will generate ^D at the prompt instead of exiting the process.

I have not seen the infinite exception loop you see when using pyreadline master (what version of pyreadline and python are you using?)

C:\python27> python

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:31:26) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

>>> import pip