[IPython-dev] Viewing IPython notebooks in GitLab

Martijn Vermaat martijn at vermaat.name
Thu Oct 10 18:04:30 EDT 2013

Hi all,

At my institute we run a private instance of the GitLab software (a
GitHub clone). We're also big fans of the IPython notebook, so the
obivous result is many repositories in GitLab containing IPython
notebooks.

Unfortunately, clicking a notebook file in GitLab shows just the JSON
source and because the raw files are not available anonymously, it's
non-trivial to use the Notebook Viewer. (And many repositories are
private on purpose anyway.)

So I made a very simple hack that embeds an HTML view of a notebook
directly in the GitLab page (of course by calling nbconvert).

In case anyone is interested, I wrote some documentation here:

  https://gist.github.com/martijnvermaat/6926070

Direct link to the patched GitLab master branch:

  https://github.com/martijnvermaat/gitlabhq/tree/blob-ipython-notebook

cheers,
Martijn