[IPython-dev] Using sphinx to evaluate notebook cells?

Nathan Goldbaum nathan12343 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 20:41:22 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Myself and some of the other yt devs are thinking about ways to improve
cookbook section of our documentation by replacing the scripts we currently
host with notebooks.

Since some of our cookbook recipes store plots, we'd like to track these
notebooks in version control in an unevaluated state, mainly to avoid
versioning images.  We have a CI server that already builds our cookbook
recipes for our dev docs, so something that integrates with sphinx seems to
be the way to go. I think I could write a sphinx plugin that does the job,
but it would need to use whatever machinery IPython uses when notebook
cells get evaluated.

Does anyone know if such a plugin is available somewhere?  If not, does
anyone know where I should look in the IPython codebase for when I try to
write it myself?

Thanks for your help,

-Nathan