[IPython-dev] Embedding IPython Notebook in Flask web app

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 01:48:13 EDT 2013

Right, I wasn't anticipating anything *not* involving spinning up separate
servers, but I was wondering if there was anything in the way of doing
that/managing them, and (more importantly) whether I can pre-load the
session with the right environment (is the best bet to produce and
somehow load a notebook file?).

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since all of the existing notebook web handlers are for tornado, you would
> have to either rewrite the web side with django instead of tornado, or
> *also* run a tornado webserver, and embed that content on your page (via
> iframe or otherwise).
>

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Yang Zhang <yanghatespam at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in embedding IPython Notebook in a Python (Flask) web app.
>>
>> This web app essentially lets users browse/view datasets.  When
>> viewing a dataset, it would be great if we could add a button that
>> starts an IPython Notebook (pre-loaded with the dataset and some
>> utility libraries) to allow users to deep-dive into that dataset.
>>
>> I know this has been brought up a couple times in the past but I'm
>> just asking again in case the situation has changed, since it's been a
>> while, and also our situation is slightly different - we're not
>> looking to provide generic IPython Notebook hosting, and we're not
>> worried about security (this is an internal web app to just our team,
>> all of whom have access to the underlying data anyway).
>>
>> I'm basically looking for the Notebook server analogy to
>> IPython.start_ipython().  Any hints on the most straightforward route
>> would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Yang Zhang
http://yz.mit.edu/