[IPython-dev] Python 3 single codebase - merged

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 14:53:15 EDT 2013

We've just merged the switch to single codebase Python 3 support into
master. This means that installing IPython on Python 3 should be much
quicker.

This is a major set of changes, so if you're about to give a critical
presentation or something using IPython, you might want to hold off pulling
from master until it's over. We've tested and reviewed the code, naturally,
but errors can always sneak in.

We've discovered one issue: if you use setup.py develop with both Python 2
and Python 3 from the same source directory, the entry points will
overwrite each other, so only the most recently set-up one will work. We're
thinking about how to fix this, but for now, use setup.py install for at
least one Python version.

Thanks,
Thomas