[IPython-dev] Width of pandas DataFrames in IPython

FernandoSaldanha fsaldan1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 08:20:24 EDT 2013

I am exploring IPython under Spyder and I found that it prints pandas
DataFrames in nicely formatted tables. Much better than the normal printing,
which has the column names misaligned with the columns. Two questions:

1) When the number of columns is more than just a few IPython does not print
the contents, it just shows a summary. This happens even if there is plenty
of real estate to show more columns. Is there a way to tell IPython to
increase the number of columns to be displayed?

2) In Spyder one can choose to have IPython show graphics inline or in
separate windows. This is a very nice feature. Sometimes I like to have
graphs in separate windows so I don't have to scroll back to see them. Can
one do the same with the tables that display pandas DataFrames?

Thanks for the help.

FS