[IPython-dev] Org Mode and DADiSP like Functionality

Paul Ivanov pi at berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 19 00:30:01 EDT 2013

Suminda Dharmasena, on 2013-09-19 09:12,  wrote:
> Is it possible to provide Org Mode (http://orgmode.org/ - the website says
> editing and planning but there is a lot more applications than that -
> http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html, Scientific Papaers -
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-papers.html, Guide - http://orgmode.org/guide/,
> FAQ - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html, http://orgmode.org/worg/doc.html)
> and DADiSP (http://www.dadisp.com/) like functionality along with the
> current functionality. Also perhaps define general workflows / scientific
> workflows.
>
> You can have richer task lists with scripting ability as well as
> spreadsheet like functionality. Also there are other Org Mode like projects
> also which you can get a idea from. Scripting can be restricted to JVM
> language and perhaps the community can add extra functionality like Org
> Mode (http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tools/index.html).

I'm not sure what the question is here, but at SciPy this year,
John Kitchin from CMU gave a talk in the Reproducible Research
track you might be interested in that was titled "Emacs +
org-mode + python in reproducible research". John does not use
IPython notebook, however, this is just Emacs and plain old
Python. You can find the talk abstract, a link to the youtube
video and other resources here:

http://conference.scipy.org/scipy2013/presentation_detail.php?id=178

Perhaps there's a way of integrating EIN - Emacs IPython Notebook
client (https://github.com/tkf/emacs-ipython-notebook) with
orgmode, so maybe that's what you're looking for? I do not use
Emacs, so I don't know what that would entail, or if that even
makes sense, but it seems relevant to mention on this list given
the content of your email.

best,
--
                   _