[IPython-dev] Security

Phil Elson pelson.pub at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 03:56:59 EDT 2013

Thanks for sharing how sagemath has done it. I'm also aware of
https://github.com/cni/ipython-hydra which authenticates IPython sessions
via LDAP.

I've been pondering how to go about setting up an enterprise installation
of IPython notebooks for 300+ internal scientific users with each of their
desktops hosting a single instance accessible by just one user (i.e. no
collaboration at this stage) available only on the internal network. For
me, the LDAP approach looks like the way to go, but there are other
security concerns (such as the automatic execution of Python from html at
notebook open time) which also make me a little nervous. My problem is that
for the notebook to be of any value to the users I support, it needs to be
running on their desktops, which by its very nature isn't as throwaway as a
garden walled VM.

Anyone else have any experience of configuring up a similar setup? Did you
harden the notebook against malicious ipynb creators?

Thanks for any insight.