[IPython-dev] pull requests

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:48:21 EDT 2013

You either have to pull from origin and push to a remote or push to
origin and pull from a remote (technically you can set it up so that
you push and pull to different urls, but that's way too complicated
for beginners).

One argument for cloning from the official repo is that you may not
have a fork. You just want to get the source code. You may fork it
later if you want to contribute a patch. To do it your way, in order
to be consistent with all your git repos (which is very important),
you have to fork every repo you want to clone. Furthermore, what if
you clone a git repo that's not on github? To remain consistent, you
have to somehow "fork" it to github before you clone it!

Aaron Meurer