[IPython-dev] Need for separate rich HTML / poor HTML display outputs

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 23:14:56 EDT 2013

As we were discussing today in the dev meeting, I think there is a need for
separate display formats for rich HTML and 'poor' HTML (i.e. what the Qt
console can handle).

I've just come across an example illustrating the need for that: pandas has
some ugly code that attempts to determine which IPython frontend it is
running in (which there's no way to do reliably), so that it can offer
different HTML representations to the notebook and other consumers. It
disables HTML tables altogether for the Qt console.

You can see the _repr_html_ code here:

https://github.com/pydata/pandas/blob/master/pandas/core/frame.py#L665

Thomas