[IPython-dev] ipython bash interaction?

Zoltán Vörös zvoros at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 03:18:13 EDT 2013

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the pointer! Based on your comment, I could figure out what
the solution is.
> On 09/25/2013 06:11 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>> I think it's possible to declare those in another one of the bash
>> startup files that does get read by the GUI systems, but I've never
>> bothered to look which one it should be. If you spend the time to make
>> it work that way, let us know!
Setting the path in .profile (for user), or in /etc/environment
(system-wide) works for me. I suspect that .profile has to be replaced
by something else, if one uses KDE or XCFE, but I believe, .profile
should work for gnome-derivatives.
> A related thread for getting the proper PYTHONSTARTUP when starting IDLE from a graphical session:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2009/11/msg00071.html
> I think an equivalent IPython hack would be to modify os.environ in the ipython launcher script.
But it is quite obvious that this is not an ipython issue. As Fernando
pointed out, the launcher doesn't know about the environmental
variables, because it is not operating at the shell level.

Cheers,
Zoltán