[IPython-dev] Appropriate use of notebook viewer?

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 13:08:51 EDT 2013

Hi Eric,

On 27 September 2013 09:15, Eric Matthes <ehmatthes at gmail.com> wrote:

> After sharing that blog post, I am wondering how well-used these notebooks
> might become if the project is completed. How appropriate is Notebook
> Viewer for a project like this?
>
> I have considered doing my own conversion to html and setting up a static
> site, but for now I really like how pushing changes to github updates the
> public-facing project.

To date, I don't think we're concerned about load on nbviewer. We're keen
to make it as easy as possible for people to share notebooks, so if it's
working for you, there's no pressure to change.

We are aiming to make it easy for people to do static conversions, as well.
For IPython 2.0, we're aiming to have an option in the notebook interface
to export as HTML. And we're definitely keen to see things like Jake's Hyde
plugin. This isn't just for our benefit - serving static HTML files removes
a potential cause of breakage and slowness. You can also send converted
files by e-mail, without posting your notebooks on the public web.

Thomas