[IPython-dev] Appropriate use of notebook viewer?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 19:15:54 EDT 2013

Hi Eric,

thanks for sharing this, I was very happy to see your post when it
showed up on HN.  It seems there was a lot of interest and good
discussion there.

The role of nbviewer *today* is to make it as easy as possible to
share notebooks with anyone online, whether colleagues or the wider
world.  But it's not a tool to build a community around a specific
group of notebooks. There's no commenting, indexing, search, etc.

Just like Jake uses very effectively notebooks in his always
interesting blog, if you want a more persistent discussion active
around a group of notebooks you may want to host them yourself.
That's totally OK! All that nbviewer provides is a very convenient,
zero-install service to help people share notebooks with minimal
effort, that's all.

We obviously think about this and we may want to consider making
nbviewer a more powerful service in the long run.  But right now we're
stretched about as thin as possible with the core code and design
efforts, so in keeping with our philosophy of trying to maintain a
sharp focus, we probably won't touch nbviewer too much for now.