[IPython-dev] Appropriate use of notebook viewer?

Matthias BUSSONNIER bussonniermatthias at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 04:13:42 EDT 2013

Hi Eric,

As Fernando also said, this is a post that I think many
of us read and where happy to see.

Your use on nbviewer is perfectly reasonable, just be aware that if github goes
down usually nbviewer goes down to (if your notebook are hosted on github) So I
would suggest often having a backup solution.  This might be running nbviewer
locally on your machine. Of course we plan on making this easier to do in the long run.

I also had a prototype of nbviewer able to browse github, but we definitively lack time
to do that.

In the mean time I may suggest doing a landing page for your projects : like this

http://camdavidsonpilon.github.io/Probabilistic-Programming-and-Bayesian-Methods-for-Hackers/

We also have a script to generate markdown index that link to nbviewer

	https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/tools/mknbindex.py

Then in the repo you have a easy link form reach notebook to the nbviewer version.

	https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/master/examples/notebooks

Lastly if your student are interesting in hacking a project, there are a lot of small improvement
bug fixes that are waiting for them on IPython/nbconvert/nbviewer :-D.

Thanks, and happy to see IPython being used for teaching  and by people like you :-)